03 January 2012

Book {Nook}

Ryan and Macauley surprised me with a Nook Color e-reader on Christmas morning. I am an avid reader and thought I'd only be content with old-fashioned paper pages, but I'm loving this little thing. I went to Barnes & Noble and got this vintage graphic case for it by Jonathan Adler. It's got a linen lining and fits my aesthetic.

I haven't discovered all its features yet, but I have been reading and doing the crossword puzzle app, which is quite addictive. The first book I downloaded was The Dovekeepers, one I'd seen in a couple of magazines. The cover and title appealed to me. The story is not at all what I expected, but I think I will like it. I read several screens in bed Christmas night and enjoyed the story but was a bit confused. Then I realized that I had inadvertently scrolled over to page 234 of 287 or something like that and had been reading in the middle/end of the book the whole time. I will work my way back to this one.



I saw The Blind Contessa's New Machine several weeks ago at Target and also loved the cover. This is a short novel and the first I've finished on the Nook. The story is inspired by the invention of the first typewriter. It's worth reading.

I've since moved on to The Paris Wife, a book I've been wanting to read for a while now. I'm just a couple of chapters in and like it so far. Purchasing a book on the Nook is far too easy...Ryan was sweet enough to set it all up for me and I can just click away and the books show up immediately. I need to investigate the Nook Friends application you can use to lend/borrow books to and from other users. I resisted the idea of an e-reader for a long time, but now I don't know why. I'm totally Nooked.

5 comments:

summersundays-jw said...

I bought myself a Kindle and I feel the same. I've always been an avid reader until my husband died & for some reason I couldn't concentrate but since I bought my Kindle, I've read several books. I downloaded a game but haven't tried it. Love all the free books from ereader & several others on FB. What did I do without it???? Jan

Christine said...

Hi Hayley,
Enjoy your new Nook! My sister-in-law has a Kindle and loves it! At this time, my daughter and I are still fans of the "old fashioned" book.
Have a beautiful day of reading!

Big Six Stables said...

Hey Hayley, We actually bought my mother the Kindle Fire for Christmas. I still am not sure about the whole E-reader thing but am sure I would like it, especially after playing with hers for a bit. I still love escaping to a book store just by myself for an hour or so. I've joined a book club and we are reading Cleopatra. I'm enjoying it but find it a bit difficult to follow. I've never been a big history buff but she intrigues me. I'm looking forward to reading "The Brave" by Nicholas Evans, he is one of my favorite authors. If you haven't read any of his stuff you may like "The Loop", it's a good one. You'll have to let me know what other good books you recommend. Love, Julie

Anonymous said...

You lucky girl, you. John and girls bought me a Bose wireless speaker this Christmas. I use it more often than I thought I would to listen to books on tape. Thank you for the reading inspiration. I will add these titles to my list of want to reads. I just finished The Kitchen House and loved it. ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

April said...

I've been the same way as you Hayley, but I've yet to convert. I just want the book, so I'm not sure how it will be to read on the screen instead of holding the actual pages in my hand. I may just have to cave in, especially with some upcoming trips this summer. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails