06 November 2011

Run-around




This has been one of the busiest weeks I've had in a while, and it ended with such an awesome day today. Lane came in from KC on Friday and my parents came up from Arkansas Saturday morning. We had lunch together and then the girls headed out for some shopping while my dad took Macauley to their hotel to swim. My sisters made a yummy lasagna dinner and we got a coconut cream and French silk from the Pie Box. In addition to gifting him with the Rock Ballads CD set he saw on an infomercial last summer, to celebrate my dad's 58th birthday, my sisters and I (and Derek's mom Melissa) ran with him in the Bass Pro Relay Marathon. We each took a leg, with Lindsay and Lane running a 10K, me running a 5K and my dad finishing with the 12K. I hadn't trained like I needed to, and I was nervous, but I managed to make it the whole 3.1 miles without walking and it really did feel great. I probably won't be able to walk tomorrow, but running in to the checkpoint to high five my dad with my sisters cheering for me and Lady Gaga blasting in my headphones, I wondered why I don't push myself to do this more often. My dad said he was shooting to finish the race at noon, but he had a really good run and finished 20 minutes earlier than that so we missed him crossing the finish line.

I don't know if heading into winter is the most opportune time for me to pick up running again, but I was so inspired by the racers and the sense of community and I know I need to sign up for another 5K and keep at it.

We celebrated at Cielito Lindo for lunch and then everyone went on home. It was so nice to have our family here and Macauley said "we just have to do this more often!"

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails