11 December 2008

Christmas Question Tag courtesy of Alysia B

The rules:

1. Post the rules on your blog.
2. Fill out the questions below
3. Tag 5-7 people at the end of your post.
4. Pass on the tag. Have FUN!!

1.Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?

Neither. It seems like I would like egg nog because I love egg custard, but don't think I do and I never drink anything hot.

2.Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?

Santa always left unwrapped gifts arranged around our stockings, placed on the floor somewhere in the living room the night before by my sisters and me. Santa could not wrap the play kitchen Macauley received one year, or the Ford F-150 Power Wheels he received the next. So we're carrying on the tradition of unwrapped surprises just waiting to be found.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?

For my house, it's white. But I enjoy seeing colorful lights in and on other houses.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?

I haven't but I would like to if I could find the real thing rather than fake.

5. When do you put your decorations up?

Usually I beginThanksgiving weekend and let the process evolve from there as I find new things to buy or get more energy.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?

I like all the pick-at, appetizer-type foods at all the holiday parties I attend or that we always have around the whole day.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child:

We always had very warm and loving holidays, so I have several. I like remembering how my sisters and I would always sleep together in one room on Christmas Eve, even as we got older, then call my mom and dad (no cell phones then, just call the home number then hang up and let it ring then pick up again when they answer) to wake them up on Christmas morning so we all went in to see what Santa left at the same time. I also remember early one Christmas Day when I was in high school that a boy named Walter Bolinger that I went to school with but had never really interacted with called my house to ask me if I would "go with" him. My answer was no, but we all thought it was very sweet that he was thinking of me and the possibility of us being a couple on such an important, busy day.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

Ryan and I have done this occasionally, but I don't think my family ever did growing up. We celebrate with Ryan's parents and other family on Christmas Eve (so we can spend Christmas Day with mine) so we open several gifts then.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?

This year I have 3 trees: one in my black/white living room that has only sparkly silver and white shabby chic type ornaments and lights with a black and white toile tree skirt I made. I put another up in the dining room and just hung some little salt wells (small little vessels with handles you could put at each place setting) with red gingham ribbon and some jute strung around. We put a little, somewhat pathetic tree in the window in Macauley's room. It has lights but no ornaments and looks really pretty from outside. We have a huge, 9 foot pre-lit tree that I usually decorate with all our sentimental and varied ornaments, but all that is still in the attic at my old house and I wasn't up for dragging it down this year.

12. Can you ice skate?

I have only tried once, on a date many years ago in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I was able to do it remedially then but I don't know how I would fare now.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

I have received a lot of sweet things over the years, but most recently, a gift that meant a lot to me was one Ryan gave me a few weeks ago, the night I had to read some of my own writing in front of a big group of people at The Library Center. He called me at home that afternoon and asked me to go out to the garage to see if the water softener was making a weird noise (which I was kind of annoyed by) and when I opened the closet to check I was surprised to see a little wrapped box with a necklace I had shown him quite a while back inside. He said I didn't have to wear it to the reading, but I did. We have been under a lot of stress lately and that gesture was so much more than a good luck wish to me.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?

My mom's homemade sugar cookies. Super soft and simple and so good I can't eat just 1. Or just 5.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?

Taking turns opening one present at a time rather than all just diving in.

17. What tops your tree?

A way shabby cute rhinestone star that always looks about to topple off.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?

I love giving gifts. I like shopping for gifts and wrapping them up super cute.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?

I know the words to most all Christmas songs, but I have come to dread/avoid the 24-hour Christmas music on the radio. My favorite, though, is "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." I love the sentiments expressed.

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?

Yum-ish, but not something I seek out. I like the ones that are flavors other than peppermint.

21. What do you want for Christmas?

Some Black Uggs and a Martha Stewart green Kitchenaid Stand Mixer. And surprises!

22. Do you attend an annual Christmas Party?

None regularly. But we always seem to have lots of festivities. Not enough to make it chaotic or hectic, though, which makes me glad.

23. Do you dress up on Christmas or wear PJs?

We dress comfy but you've got to be prepared and presentable for pictures.

24. Do you own a santa hat?

I do not.

25. Who do you normally spend Christmas with?

My husband, son, sisters and parents. The people I love the most...

I tag April Nord, Alicia Kelley, Joann of Sweet Finds and Andi Watterman (who I just noticed was my one and only "follower" on my blog--hello!) or anyone else who wants to.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails