30 March 2009

Back in the swing of things

Today we were back to school and back to our routine after a leisurely Spring Break. It wasn't as tough as I thought it would be, other than starting a new Creative Writing class first thing this morning before I had gotten back in the groove. Oh well. I can't believe we start April this week. This school year has really flown by, which has been good for me in the work sense, but that also means that Macauley's time as a kindergartener, which he has really enjoyed and flourished in, is fleeting as well. He's enjoying the longer afternoons after school and getting in some good outside playtime with Megan. Today they showed off the little animal flashlights Macauley picked out for the both of them at Lane's store when we visited Rogers last week. On the wicker porch swing that I painted and with Ryan's help put up with new chains yesterday. It really is just what I imagined. When I think of porch swings, for some reason I always think of a really corny country song that came out in the early to mid 80s called, "Just a swingin'." Such a corny song, but I connect it to my childhood and my grandparents and time with my cousins at Nanny and Papaw's and my Papaw sitting on a porch swing watching all of us play in the backyard. It wasn't actually on a porch but rather suspended from an old swingset frame out back. Papaw watched a lot of Hee Haw, so maybe that's why the silly song rings such a bell. He's been gone almost 5 years now, but I still think of him and miss him every day. I wish he could visit my new house and sit in my swing a while and watch his great-grandson and his adorable little friend play the way my cousins and I used to. I think he would have been delighted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a sweet post, and makes me a little teary-eyed thinking about my grandma and grandpa. Grandparents are always such special people in our lives:)

Anonymous said...

This is a sweet post, and makes me a little teary-eyed thinking about my grandma and grandpa. Grandparents are always such special people in our lives:)

April said...

Your song choice made me smile :) My grandma watched "Hee-Haw" all the time, and I remember that song like it was playing yesterday. Thanks for the memory!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails