04 September 2010

The books of summer


Since my summer vacation has officially come and gone, I'm transferring my on-going summer reading list from the sidebar to here. I don't get to read quite as much when school is in, it seems, but reading is such a big part of my life that I know I'll always have a book on my nightstand. Right now it's The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, on loan from my sweet friend Janice. About 6 chapters in, I'm liking it. The little girl narrator feels people's (namely her mother's) aches and sadness through the food she eats. I feel like I usually get through a few more books each summer, and some of the ones I read this summer were just okay, but there were some real gems: The Help, especially, and also Those Who Save Us.


My On-Going Summer Reading List
(Posted June 2010/Concluded August 2010):


"And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees--just as things grow fast in movies--I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning again with the summer. There was so much to read for one thing..."
~Nick Carraway in The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald


Books I read, Summer 2010:
Sarah's Key
The Sugar Queen
The Piano Teacher
Knit Two
The Diplomat's Wife
The Help
Dream When You're Feeling Blue
Those Who Save Us
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
The Wednesday Letters
Her Fearful Symmetry
The Great Gatsby
A Soft Place to Land
What the Dead Know


Books I thought I might read (still do):
The Postmistress by Sarah Blake
Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok
Roses by Leila Meacham
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender
Fragile by Lisa Unger
Neighborhood Watch by Cammie McGovern

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails