10 March 2011

VIF: Out and about

I found a few bits of vintage inspiration at the flea market in Bolivar last Saturday. It's actually in a building Ryan's grandfather owns, where he used to own and run a grocery store. I'm glad I got this half moon louvre. I also picked up a small ironstone platter, a little wooden box, a faded Pepsi crate and a white soapdish that was 50 cents. Ryan's sweet mom gave me the glass salt jar she had ordered from Pottery Barn.

I think this washtub would make a great fountain or little pond, like one I'll always remember from Carolyn Westbrook's book, with a concrete statue standing in it. I was about to have a closer look at the tub when a friendly guy asked me if I'd seen any lids for a certain cast iron pot he had and then started telling me all about 2012 and his niece who is an astronomer doing research for NASA and how all these earthquakes we've had around the globe point to a galactic bubble event set to happen when the Aztec calendar ends. Something like that. I'm a magnet for people I don't know to tell me all sorts of stuff.

I thought this picnic table was a steal for $22. Wish I'd been in the market for one.

Wouldn't this metal piece be great out in my flowerbed, maybe with a plant hanging from it or just set amongst some flowers?


I got home and couldn't stop thinking about this windmill I saw for $35. I live smack in the middle of suburbia, but I decided I needed it in my backyard and asked my mother-in-law to take the truck and get it for me. She went this morning and said it wasn't there. Boo. My grandparents had a windmill very similar to this one, and I'd sure like to have it for the sentimental reminder.


I saw this pretty house on my way home--that taupe and black color scheme with the shaped bushes is one that always inspires me. I've been thinking about adding more of this look around my house this spring.


This week has flown by. Macauley and I took Booker T. for a long walk on the greenway trail after school this afternoon. It was still a bit cool out, but the little creek was bubbling and the sun was out and I could feel the world starting to wake up after the gray sleep of winter. What I really need more than "vintage inspiration" (that comes so easily to me) is the fire to get out every day after school and walk or jog or something instead of plopping on the comfy couch and digging in to my Oprah and Jeopardy! and snacks. Maybe a little pink ipod Shuffle would do the trick...

4 comments:

Debra@CommonGround said...

That house is just so gorgeous, love the color scheme. And what a great bunch of finds. The arch. piece is such a keeper! The walk sounds like such a treat, fun for everyone,
Thanks for linking up, Hayley,
big hugs,
Debra

Maaike said...

Wow, what a great house you came across! Indeed beautiful colorscheme and I love that frontdoor...
Have a great weekend,
love Maaike

Decor To Adore said...

Ah, I love it all!

I am having an antique auction on my blog. All sorts of lovely and romantic finds looking for a new home. I hope you'll stop by.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Helen said...

What a great post. I love the items you pictured and the house is simply beautiful.

Shame about the windmill going, but now that other people know are after one they might let you know if they find any.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails