24 August 2011

In the beginning

Even when my room is ready and my copies are made and I've got the first couple of weeks planned, my stomach still always flutters at the thought of the first day of school. Tomorrow is day 1 of my eighth year teaching high school English...

I'm always anxious about my classes, the dynamic, getting to know 90+ seniors and them getting to know me, and it almost always turns out just fine after that first day awkwardness. We've got a new schedule this year and I'm a little nervous about making that work, but I'll be used to it after a couple of weeks, I think.

Wish I could be here to send my little boy off to day 1 of grade 3, but I've got all his things laid out and his dad is a morning pro. And heck, I'm a pro at what I do, too, if I do say so myself...it's all going to be okay. Maybe even better than okay...


"I like a teacher who gives you something to take home and think about besides homework." ~Lily Tomblin

2 comments:

Christine said...

I had "butterflies" this morning as I dropped my son off for his first day of high school. I don't know where the years went...I'm still looking for them. I hope that you have a great day and don't forget to breathe.

trash talk said...

Kudos to you for doing what you do. I think all teachers deserve a medal...probably the purple heart...for what they take on year after year. I know you have your hands full with seniors and senioritis. I would imagine you're one of the favorite teachers at your school.
Deb
P.S. BTW...I love the movie "Teacher's Pet"!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails