05 July 2012

Check{ing} it out


Why we didn't do it before, I have no idea...but last week Macauley applied for his own library card and we came home with a stack of books from The Library Center (after an iced vanilla latte from The Mudhouse cafe inside).  You'd think being such a family of readers we would be hitting the library all the time...but no.  He was, however, already well-versed in the rules of such a place and keep shushing me when I talked to him, ala this old Grover clip (I kept thinking of an old Elmo bit when we were there signing up, where Elmo keeps shouting, "Elmo got a library card!" while Bob repeatedly shushes him).  We stopped in the gift shop on the way out and got a new "library bag" to corral our selections for future transport and return, and I learned that each person can have up to 50 (!) books checked out at one time according to library policy.  That's a lot to keep track of.  We'll aim lower.







I had a Mother who read me the things
That wholesome life to the boy heart brings--
Stories that stir with an upward touch,
Oh, that each mother of boys were such!

      You may have tangible wealth untold.
      Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
      Richer than I you can never be--
      I had a Mother who read to me.

                                         ~Strickland Gillilan

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails