02 September 2009

I'll keep your secrets...

I'd really like to go to some estate sales, but I don't know how to find them. I was hoping some of you savvy shoppers out there would give me some ideas about how you find your sales. I'm not looking to wipe any of them out for resale. I'm just curious to see what treasures are out there, and what I can find for myself. I won't spill your dealer secrets, and I work as a teacher most weekdays, so there are probably many sales I would miss anyway. I'm also curious about attending an auction, but I've never felt confident enough that I would know what to do. Do you have to have cash? Do you look at all the stuff for sale beforehand? Are things really expensive at auctions? I'm still a flea market girl at heart, but I'd like to expand my horizons and would love any scoop I could get. But I understand if you guard your treasure hunt secrets...

3 comments:

Debra@CommonGround said...

Hi Hayley, I've never been to an auction, although I would love to go. Waiting around all day and the thought of bidding on something that might make me impulse at too high of a price is a fear of mine, and I know for a fact that there can be some hurt feelings in that area. We just hit some of the fleas around the area and "look hard". The STD's are a couple of my favaorite places as you know you can find some great stuff at times. Sorry not to be much help. I don't have a lot of luck garage sale-ing, but I would love to check out some estate sales.
Debra

Polly said...

Hi Hayley,

Auctions are great fun! Sometimes you hit the jackpot and other times you waste several hours and go home with nothing. You just never know! I would recommend going to auctionzip.com to find auctions in your area. Have fun!

trash talk said...

Hayley, Cat Daddy loves auctions...me not so much. I can't sit still and wait for items that I'm interested in to come up for bid. I just go stir crazy. It's best to go early and preview what's for sale. Look it over carefully for repairs, cracks, etc. because it is sold "as is, where is" with no guarantees.
Set a price in your mind of what you would be comfortable paying for something and be sure and check if there is a buyer's premium. This can range from 5-10% of the winning bid and is added on.
Also, be careful that you know what you are bidding on. I once thought I was buying a quilt, but instead, was the proud owner of a power drill!
Check local papers and on line for auction locations. They can be a lot of fun...as long as you don't get swept away and pay more than you intended.
Have fun!
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails