04 April 2009

Bee better


I'm not sure if it was just that we had been on Spring Break the week before or what, but last week was pretty hectic. I felt super busy (as a bee, in fact) all day at school trying to prep for my classes and fulfill several other responsibilities, and usually I feel like I have a better handle on all that. So I would come home from work just worn out, and if you saw my house right now, you would think I am just about the worst keeper of a home ever. Purchases from Spring Break shopping and laundry (dirty piles and folded stacks) everywhere, the ever present pet fur, health hazard bathrooms...just everything. And I just don't feel like tackling any of it. I have shuffled piles and wiped down a few countertops, but I just give out. My house is not always sparkling clean or super sanitized, but it's usually not as cluttered or messy, and I don't like it this way.


Macauley, though, doesn't seem to notice or mind that I haven't got the house up to par or that I blog and watch American Idol instead of facing the mess. This is what he brought me a couple of nights ago when I was on the computer (not lost in blogland for once, I was actually typing up a project assignment for school) and he had been winding down in his new Spongebob pajamas in front of the TV in my bedroom. I heard him open the fridge and move stuff around in the kitchen and thought he was making himself a drink or something. Instead, he came to me bearing the treat he had made for me ("I call this orange cake," he announced), having dolloped a spoonful of the mandarin oranges in a jar I bought for him onto a leftover shortcake from a couple of nights before when I cut up a bunch of strawberries. He was so pleased and proud to give it to me and just knew I would love it. I like neither shortcake nor mandarin oranges (at least not these) but how could I look at this sweet little giftgiver and not take a delighted nibble. I raved as I gulped down one small bite. Macauley skipped off to give Ryan the one he made for him and I quickly fed mine to Booker, who chomped on it somewhat confused and reluctantly rather than swallowing the people food down without even chewing like he does most other things.



I know I do it all the time, get caught up in what I want to do or what I think must be done at this very moment and say I'm too "busy" to just play or listen or watch Spongebob with Macauley, but really... well, I'm sure you know where I'm going with this one. I just need to remember that.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails