02 April 2009

It's a messy job...

...but he just had to do it. Macauley used my spare scraper to help me peel potatoes for potato soup this evening for the first time.

Our island has a hole cut out leading to the trash, which I wasn't too keen on at first, but now I think it's just the best thing. So I can stand and peel directly into the trash and put the peeled potatoes in the small prep sink just to the left of it to rinse. Listen to me...I sound like I cook or something with the "prep sink" and all. I love nesting but I'm not consistently fabulous about feeding the otherwise dearly loved and taken care of birds that live with me.

I peeled and cut up 6 potatoes in the time it took him to get to the heart of this 1 little spud. Notice the peeling trail ended up stretching far from where it began, but tada! Success.
My mother's potato soup (a food that to me is home, comfort, childhood, youth and the first I think of to make on a rainy, icky day like today) is simple, just peeled potatoes, in this case Yukon Golds, 2% milk, butter, salt and pepper. I can't resist crunching on the raw potatoes as I cut them. I don't know if I'm the only person who likes raw potatoes? No, I know there are at least two of us because Macauley likes them, too.

I also wonder if I'm the only spineless mom who lets my child talk me into all sorts of miscellaneous foods, snacks, bath products and more when we grocery shop? Macauley has for a while now been asking for, of all things, to buy a pineapple (the residence of a certain Sponge) and tonight I just said, "Throw it in." Throw it in with the camaflogue swim trunks, the Spongebob pajamas, the Love the Earth tshirt, the half-gallon jug of Berry Blue bubble bath, the Crayola bathwater coloring tabs and the two bottles of Suave Kids 2-in-1 shampoo (we needed a bottle for upstairs and one for down).

Not sure which of the 3 colors of tabs he mixed for this particular shade, but the dog hair, potato juice and general grime a person this close to the ground gathers in a given day has hopefully been rinsed away in this mini deep blue sea, in his very own bathroom just off his room upstairs.

4 comments:

April said...

I LOVE raw potatoes! I usually end up eating several pieces before they make it to wherever they are going :) Your potato soup sounds delicious AND easy--I may be even be able to pull something like that off! Love the bath picture too--weird color, but whatever Macauley likes... :)

Hayley Fraser said...

I was thinking we had a conversation about eating raw potatoes back in the day in 217...I think I told you I am probably moving back to that end of the building next year. Haven't moved as much as you, but I guess this will be 4 rooms in 5 years for me.

Audi Sue said...

Oh how I used to love to come over and have some of Barb's potatoe soup!! Cody likes potatoe soup too.. not the same recipe as your mom's but one I found in a recipe book!! I also love to eat raw potatoes....

You are not the only mom who on occassion say's put it in the cart.. I hav been known to do it..I have gotten better about saying no here lately...

Hope you all havea good weekend!!
We are heading to Rogers to do some painting!! :)

Big Six Stables said...

I remember the potato soup too. I've actually thought of it several times throughout the years but have never attempted it. I didn't realize it was so easy! I will have to try and make that sometime. I believe the first time you made that I also learned about the preheat light going off when the oven was well, preheated. It amazes me that my mother is such a wonderful cook and I left home with a major lack of cooking skills. Hope you're having a good week!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails